October 2 is many things. It is the birthday of noted American musicians Sting and Tiffany. It is the feast day of Saint Leodegar of Poitiers. And believe it or not, in the U.S. it is also national “Name Your Car Day”.

The inquisitive folks at Nationwide Insurance were curious to know how many vehicle owners go to the trouble of naming their cars, so they surveyed 1,082 of them to get some answers.

The team’s major findings include:

  • 25 percent of Americans name their cars.
  • 36 percent of drivers between the ages of 18 and 34 do so — more than any other group.
  • 27 percent of women name their vehicles, while just 17 percent of men do the same.
  • 9 percent of men name their vehicles after an historical figure, while 10 percent name them after a movie character. (Among women, the stats are 4 percent on both counts.)
  • 26 percent of those surveyed think of their car as female. (No word on what the remaining 74 percent think.)
  • By far, the most popular car name is “Baby”.